ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

CSM - Bidirectional vs receive-only

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 123

Joined 2013-10-07

PM

I would like to use the Continuous scanning mode

My CSM node is configured in receive-only mode for now.
I would also like to transmit data, (to calibrate, control trainers, etc)

Quote from the CSM pdf:
Receive-only configurations are recommended for diagnostic applications. In receive-only mode, the scanning device is unable to transmit, and thus will not respond to acknowledged or burst data.

My question:
is Using CSM bidirectional mode in a group setting doable (10-50 sensors)? Will the CSM node be too busy auto-replying to all message to receive a sufficient amount of data?
Will experiment with it,

Thanks      

Signature

——————————————————
Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

If you are using ANT+ sensors, they should almost never send ACK/Burst messages in the forward direction (ie Master -> Slave). However, there should be enough spacing in time to allow for 50 masters to send ACK's to the CSM in a proprietary system.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-10-07

PM

Thanks Harrison,

Yeah the only Ack message that will be sent will come from the the Slave (calibration, setLoad on trainer,..). And I actually don't care about the ack reply except for the calibration (setLoad is sent each second)
I'm using ANT+ public network key so it's not a proprietary system?

What would be really cool is a way to control many FE-C trainers at the same time by only sending one broadcast message that all FE-C trainers can interpret. Because right now we have to keep track of each ANT ID and send a message for each trainer, takes a lot of radio resources. Really good use-case for gym and spinning classes.

Cheers,
Max

Signature

——————————————————

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi Max,

Oh by "proprietary" I am referring to any system not based on ANT+ Device Profiles which use the ANT+ Network Key. Sorry for some reason I thought your system was not based on the profile.

Correct, it has been discussed but at this time the ANT+ FE-C Profile does not define a standard group training control method other than CSM at this time, but there are certainly other methods using ANT which would be more radio efficient (master shared channel topology) or with more large area control (scan and forward master/background scan mesh).

Only ANT+ Alliance Members may submit requests for profile extensions. It would also be possible to implement one of these other methods concurrently with the FE-C broadcast channel.

Cheers,
Harrison      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-10-07

PM

Hey Harrison,

Not sure I heard about the FE-C broadcast channel, is it in the profile documentation? Or do you mean emitting a broadcast message for each FE-C trainer individually?

I will try to improve the ANT+ reception as much as possible for the group use. Is there any special ANT+ Antenna that have better reception compared to standard USB2 stick? Do you recommend putting the sensor in the middle floor vs on the middle ceiling. Last resort if signal is too low will be to use multiple ANT+ Stick, but the stick could duplicate the data and this will be more cpu intensive, ++ job coding this.

I will check to join the ANT+ Alliance Members, but right now 1500US/year is too much for a small business. The only need I have is to have my software in the ENUM to create FIT file and some support. Would be great if there is another level of membership between Adoper and Member, I would be interested in a one time fee for example.

Have a great day!
Max

Signature

——————————————————