ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Most accurate way of timestamping EVENT_TX and Broadcast/Ack data

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 0

PM

Hi there,

I'm looking for the most accurate way of knowing the time when a data packet was sent and when it was received. My current development system connects to an NRF24AP2 with an asynchronous connection (@57600 baud). I experience jitter when I timestamp the, e.g. EVENT_TX events in the order of 500 us...

Now I'm wondering if I could reduce the jiiter if I connected to the NRF24ap2 with a synchronous interface.

Thanks for any help.

Best,
Rolf      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi Rolf,

Correct, EVENT_TX is the best way to know when a message was sent, although for received messages you should use extended messaging with the timestamp field enabled instead.

Also, please note that ANT is designed to allow transmissions to occur within different time slots for coexistence, so some jitter is to be expected. If you require messages to be transmitted with a high degree of temporal precision then you may use a TX_only channel instead, understanding this will disable coexistence.

Cheers      
Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 0

PM

Hi Harrison,

Thanks for your answer. I've implemented an estimator for the point in time when the actual transmission occurs.
Also many thanks for the tip regarding TX_ONLY. That will help a lot!

Cheers!