Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Garmin Sensor Detection

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-10-04

PM

After many attempts to get our power sensor to be detected I managed to get it to detect the sensor, but I fear that it was mostly by chance and not the correct way to do so.

Normally we set up a script with SensRcore to output an analog signal. This results in our device transmitting:

[41][00][00][00][AD][AC][80][AC]

(Ignore payload, it's from a test circuit)

The message type (41) I believe should be 10 (power only). This method has never been detected by the garmin.

After tinkering around with just Antware, no scripts loaded, the Garmin "found" my device. It was transmitting:

[51][00][FF][FF][00][03][06][09]

[52][00][FF][FF][00][03][06][09]

[53][00][FF][FF][00][03][06][09]

My worry about this is that it clearly is just iterating through all of the message types, and eventually the Garmin receives a power meter message and acknowledges it.

The simplest question I can think of to ask is: Should the sensor only be transmitting a "power" message repeatedly to be recognized or does the Garmin require a "message" to be broadcast before we start to send power data?

If someone could help shine some light on the topic that would be incredibly helpful.      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hi,

For a Garmin receiver to receive bike power data, the power sensor has to be ANT+. In other words, the power sensor has to transmit ANT+ bike power data.

ANT+ bike power data has specific data format. Also, details on the data format can be found in the "Bike Power Device Profile" which is available to ANT+ members. Therefore, it is not possible to simulate ANT+ bike power sensor using SensRcore.

Please contact .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) for more details on joining the Alliance.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-10-04

PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked into it some more. (I am a member of the ANT Alliance, just having trouble verifying it.)

Is it really true that SensRcore cannot implement the Power Only Specification in the Bike Power Device Profile? If so, is it because you can only send messages of the general data page types?      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

The reason why SensRcore cannot be used to send bike power data is because SensRcore uses a global data format which is different from the ANT+ bike power data format.