Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANT Radio Services in Android Emulator

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I'm trying to install the "Android_AppService_AntRadioService_2-4.apk" in the Android SDK emulator, however I can't get it to work. I always get the error: "Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY]".

I've tried setting the emulator to Google Api's, Android 2.1 rather than just Android 2.1 but this results in the same error.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2010-10-25

PM

I would be interested if this worked as it would make various testing tasks far easier. I have no expectation of it working with the emulator though. In order to even think it would work I would expect to see some form of Ant option on the hardware list you can use to configure the emulator.

Theoreticaly I guess it would be possible to get the emulator to use and Ant usb stick (or the simulator) on the host but knowing the way these things are put together I think it would be quite a big project to get setup.      
RankRank

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-06-29

PM

The reason you get the "Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY]" error is because the ANT Radio Service is filtered to only install onto phones that have ANT support. We do this by adding a <uses-library android:name="com.dsi.ant.antradio_library" > entry to the AndroidManifest.xml file, and the emulator image does not have that file on it.

Unfortunately pushing the files with adb doesn't fix it because the com.dsi.ant.antradio_library.jar needs to exist at boot, which means it has to be built in the system.img.

We realize that ANT on an Android emulator would be very useful to developers. It is an ongoing project of ours.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I am getting the same error using an Xperia Play as the connected device. Here is my console:

[2011-09-12 20:55:26 - ANTPlusDemo] ------------------------------
[2011-09-12 20:55:26 - ANTPlusDemo] Android Launch!
[2011-09-12 20:55:26 - ANTPlusDemo] adb is running normally.
[2011-09-12 20:55:26 - ANTPlusDemo] Performing com.dsi.ant.antplusdemo.ANTPlusDemo activity launch
[2011-09-12 20:55:26 - ANTPlusDemo] Automatic Target Mode: using device '4342354131434B57314E'
[2011-09-12 20:55:26 - ANTPlusDemo] Uploading ANTPlusDemo.apk onto device '4342354131434B57314E'
[2011-09-12 20:55:26 - ANTPlusDemo] Installing ANTPlusDemo.apk...
[2011-09-12 20:55:27 - ANTPlusDemo] Installation error: INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY
[2011-09-12 20:55:27 - ANTPlusDemo] Please check logcat output for more details.
[2011-09-12 20:55:27 - ANTPlusDemo] Launch canceled!

To my knowledge the Xperia Play is like other SONY phones and has ANT+ support. Please let me know if you will be able to shed some light on this error.

Thanks,
Ryan      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

To our knowledge, the SE Xperia Play was not released with ANT support.

For a list of phones confirmed to have ANT support, see
http://www.thisisant.com/pages/developer-zone/android-api

The SE Xperia Active is missing from that list, but should be added shortly.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

It is my understanding that as of a few days ago, we should be able to test ANT+ functionality using the Android emulator and an ANT USB stick. But maybe I heard incorrectly.

If it is possible, how do we set up the environment? I tried installing the Android ANTPlusDemo code onto an AVD using Android 2.3.3 with a USB stick thinking that the latest Android version might have the ANT Radio Service already installed. No Luck. I received the typical INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY message.

Do we somehow need to obtain the ANT Radio Service and then somehow install it onto the AVD to get this to work? How best would that be done?

Thanks for your help.

Tom      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

This functionality is not built into the standard Android SDK. There is an extra piece of software that needs to be installed for this, which will be released soon.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

The Android emulator does NOT support ANT radio. So you can only test with a real Android device that supports ANT, e.g. a Sony Ericsson mmobile phone.
If I remember right, there's another thread in this forum where this has been discussed to some more depth.      
RankRank

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-06-29

PM

As Alejandra mentioned, a version of the android emulator with ANT support will be released soon, initially to ANT+ members under the Beta Downloads.
Depending on feedback, we will keep you posted on it.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2010-10-25

PM

Can you post in here when you put it up? That way I want miss it's apearence. I will give it a go especialy if the SE Active I have on order has not yet turned up. I am getting about as far as I can without a proper phone.

Ifor