Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Android Api 4.0 questions

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2010-10-25

PM

Glad to see the new API out. Should greatly help with ANT+ Android development.

I have not tried anything yet just downloaded and skimmed the docs trying to work out a plan of action for IpSensorMan / IpBike. I want to update to allow multi app support that is after all why I wrote IpSensorMan. It looks like there is not currently any support in the plugin API for the bike related Profiles. Can I use both API's simultaneously? If I can then I will look to use the new API to add support for the control profile which is the next thing I was looking to add support for anyway. I can then slowly move the other stuff over till I am only using the new APIs. If I can not use the APIs simultaneously then an indication as to the time frame for adding support for the Bike related profile would be appreciated so I can decide whether to delay doing the control profile work or if I should just press on and do it the old way.

Ifor      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Great to see you looking at the new API already - it definitely has many upgrades that will benefit you. As the old API provides full raw access to ANT, unfortunately there is no way to use both API's simultaneously.

Providing the bike related profiles is one of our priorities (so existing fitness apps can switch over), and so generally developers should wait for the new API to include these. As per today's news (http://www.thisisant.com/news/new-ant-android-sdk-enables-development-of-simple-unrestricted-apps/), you should expect the next two sets of profiles to be available before the end of next month.

The initial Bike Power release will include basic power information. For an application like yours, which uses more advanced information, you will have to still decode the information yourself. You can use the ANT API to acquire a channel yourself (contact us for access to the ANT+ network), or we are looking at adding a raw data stream to each device API.

-Rohan      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2010-10-25

PM

OK thanks for the information. I think my best plan in that case initially will be to put in a parallel implementation in IpSensorMan which can be switched so I can use the legacy code or the new code. Once the basic bike stuff is in most people can use the new setup and potentially get the multi app benefit. The more advanced power users and anyone else needing something not possible with the new apis can stick with the legacy setup. This should let me transition fairly smoothly over a period of time.

Good luck getting some of the bigger apps to transition over, getting them to just rebuild for ANT usb seems to of been hard let alone a re-design for the new API's      
Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-06-17

PM

"you should expect the next two sets of profiles to be available before the end of next month."

Are the two new sets of profiles still going to be available at the end of June?

Will they include support for the Garmin GSC-10 bike senor?

I assume "public abstract class AntPlusBikeSpdCadCommonPcc" will be extended with some concrete implementations?

thanks

Sam      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Yes, the bike release will support speed, cadence and the speed/cadence combined sensors such as the GSC-10.

AntPlusBikeSpdCadCommonPcc will be extended, this one and any other bike files weren't meant to be visible in the current release and they have been changing, so don't write any code based off of them yet.

As for a schedule of a release date, it is currently in flux, so I can't give you a specific date. We are still working to finish by the end of the month, but it may slip a week or two with recent developments.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

<Removed double post>      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-06-17

PM

Great thanks for the fast reply      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Just to update: The bike plugins are complete and in the final phases of testing. We should have public releases soon. If anybody is interested in beta testing the bike plugins please PM me.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 0

PM

Hi to all,

I am very interested to test the new beta bike profiles, as the most recent update of the ANT Radio Service seems to raise many exceptions in my uBike application, which is using the "legacy" ANT Android API.

Regards

Peter Bruinink
Plusot Biketech      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

@BruininkP I responded to your PM, good luck!

To anyone else interested, please PM me you email address. Thanks!      

Signature

Dynastream Developer