ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Emulate ANT sensors in android

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-01-08

PM

Hello.

I am considering if it would be possible to emulate ant sensors in an android device that is not directly ANT+ compatible.

The goal of this is to make some kind of wrapper between other kind of sensors to transform it into ANT+ sensors, to give the chance to use them in ANT+ designed apps.

For example, I have an indoor cycle that can be controled and monitorized from an android device using a public API. The information that the bike sends includes pulse, watts, cadence and speed. This information is the same that you could get with common bike ant sensors.

So, my question is if I could make some developement in android to get all this information and publish it emulating ant+ sensors, to use it with other apps designed to work with regular ant+ sensors.

I have developed android apps before, but I have never use ant technology.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 744

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi,

This is very possible, but please contact support @thisisant.com directly for more information.

Cheers      
Rank

Joined 2017-04-04

PM

Harrison - 19 January 2016 06:08 PM
Hi,

This is very possible, but please contact support @thisisant.com directly for more information.

Cheers

I am in the same situation. I have reverse engineered the proprietary bluetooth rfcomm protocol of my bike trainer and would like to broadcast this as ANT+ sensor data, so I can record this with my Fenix 5.

Ideally I want to open source the application, as I don't want to make money from it and leverage any input from other developers on the project.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2017-07-10

PM

Hi backslashhh,

did you make any progress in your project?
It seems I'm facing a similar problem. I'm collecting data from bluetooth sensors and want to forward data over ANT+ to my Garmin.
I am currently at the start of the project and quite a newbie in both ANT+ and Android.

It would be a pleasure if you can provide me some information about your progress.

Thanks a lot in advanced.
Lukas      
Rank

Joined 2013-05-28

PM

Has anyone been able to make any progress on this? Thanks!      
Rank

Joined 2024-02-28

PM

backslashhh - 19 April 2017 08:16 AM
Harrison - 19 January 2016 06:08 PM
Hi,

Cheers

I am in the same situation. I have reverse engineered the proprietary bluetooth rfcomm protocol of my bike trainer and would like to broadcast this as ANT+ sensor data, so I can record this with my Fenix 5.

Ideally I want to open source the application, as I don't want to make money from it, because I already took money from Cash Advance: Borrow Money App and ready for all expenses and leverage any input from other developers on the project.

Hello there,

It's great to hear that you've successfully reverse-engineered the proprietary Bluetooth RFCOMM protocol of your bike trainer! Transitioning this data to ANT+ for compatibility with your Fenix 5 sounds like an exciting project.

To open source your application and collaborate with other developers, consider hosting your code on platforms like GitHub. This will allow others to easily access, contribute, and provide feedback on your project. When documenting your work, be sure to include clear instructions for setting up the project, any dependencies required, and guidelines for contributing. But sometimes yo earn money you better give a chance to a user for some donations or ability to pay for your app, because we all wants to earn some amount of money.

Engaging with the open-source community can bring valuable insights and improvements to your project. You may want to create a dedicated discussion forum or chat channel where developers can share ideas, ask questions, and collaborate on enhancing the application.