Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

‘USB GPS,’ ‘USB’ and ‘ANT+’

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-07-15

PM

Want to transmit data (Garmin GPS dog collar info) wirelessly to Windows desktop application using smallest tertiary device possible.

I have a Garmin Astro 430 (dog collar tracking device), which can be plugged into a Windows PC via USB cable, and then set to one of two settings: 1) "storage" mode, or 2) "USB GPS" mode. Then, the Astro 430 will communicate with the Garmin BaseCamp desktop application to transfer files (storage mode), or transfer GPS position information (USB GPS mode). Also, the Astro 430 can transmit dog collar info wirelessly to the Garmin DriveTrack 70LMT dash mount vehicle GPS (via ANT(+)...I think).

I've successfully used a small, wireless USB print server to broadcast the USB GPS info wirelessly from the Astro 430 to a Windows PC (and into Garmin BaseCamp), but this option requires the USB print server to have power running to it via various methods, which essentially makes the desktop itself wireless, not the Astro 430 (since you must have a USB cable from the Astro 430 to the print server, and then a power cable from the print server to a power source).

Any ideas how I can go from Garmin Astro 430 to Windows PC wirelessly with the smallest footprint? Maybe using an ANT+ USB dongle?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi,

An ANT+ USB stick would indeed be the smallest option. IIRC, the Astro 430 uses the ANT+ Tracking Profile, for which you could use SimulANT+ to process the data.      
Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-07-15

PM

Thanks for your response. The ANT+ Tracker Profile does not seem to be available for download anywhere. Any additional assistance would be appreciated.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi,

At this time the ANT+ Tracker Profile is currently only available for ANT+ Alliance Members; it is not expected to be released for ANT+ Adopters until next year.