Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Ant Radio Service 4.1 Issues.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2010-10-25

PM

I am having some trouble with my code having got the 4.1 AntRadio Services update. This is only with the beta versions of IpSensorMan that is using the new channel allocation API's. The production version 1.2.6 I am glad to say looks to be ok but it is using the legacy API's.

The main issue is that there appears to be some buffering happening to the received data. I am not getting the messages straight way. I get nothing and then a load of messages in short order. Testing is with an Xperia Active. Transmitting devices makes no different I had it with my commute today HR, Speed and cadence and Environment. Testing this evening I get the same thing with the simulator doing HR and SC and the real environment sitting in range.

I have attached a captured .csv file with a minutes worth of data. Column E is a millisecond timestamp for when I got the data.

Although not on Google Play I have given this beta version of IpSensorMan out to a number of customers normally those that were experiencing trouble of one form or another with USB sticks... I also have a public beta where I am adding in Btle support which is based on this codebase which I have been running myself for the last 2 months. See the Btle Beta page if you want to sign up to get hold of this version of the app which is having the problems.

Is there something I could be missing with regard to this observed buffering behaviour?      

File Attachments

• log_2.csv (File Size: 111KB - Downloads: 487)
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

This "event buffering" (for 2 seconds) behaviour is provided to improve battery life. The ANT+ Plugins version that deals with this better will be available for at least beta testers shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience until then. You should first consider how "live" you need the data (especially while the screen is off), and if you need to reduce the buffer time right away, please contact me and we will discuss a work around (but this will impact battery life).      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-10-25

PM

I am displaying the data live to the users for the instantaneous data speed, cadence, power, hr. I update the display if the data changes straight away so a 4 Hz rate if the data is changing at that rate. The delay I am seeing is more than 2 seconds. I have automatic zeroing of speed and cadence if I do not see an update for 3 seconds and this is happening.

While I commend you for optimising battery usage doing so at the expense of any real-time user feedback in the system is going a step too far. I believe battery usage by the ANT system is insignificant to most APPs using it. On an Xperia Active and 4 sensors (spd, cad, hr, environment) I get 5+ hours with the display on full time at 25% in using IpBike. Display off I think I am looking at double that. I have not done a long test with GPS and cell off so only ANT but expect to be getting close to 20 hours.

This is the second update in a row that is causing trouble. It would be really good if you would look to use the new beta and alpha facilities now in Google Play for future updates. Then developers would be able to check your changes before they are released to the general public. There is also the benefit in that if things break you can temporarily leave the beta and get back to the production apk.

Is there something I can do to my code to get around this? The Plugin sample is getting data in a timely manner so clearly you have a path through that is OK.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Hi ifor,

Please differentiate between the public SDK release and the beta test version, are you seeing the latest ANT Radio Service (4.1) "causing trouble" with your app using the public SDK? I will PM you about the beta (so as to not confuse anyone using public versions).

The Google Play store beta facilities do not allow any way to distribute libraries (the API), so we cannot use it for this purpose.

Cheers      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-10-25

PM

Ok this has been taken to email.

For reference it is the public 4.0.0 sdk. I would not be discussing beta stuff in an open forum...